Monday, September 20, 2010

My Day Job vs. My Passion


"There are no secrets to success but working harder than the guy next to you and wanting it more than the guy next to you." -Bill Rancic

If you are anything like me, you probably hear all the time, "I hate my job!" or "can it just be the weekend already" and really, one has to wonder, is everyone really that miserable? My opinion is that as Americans, we were just raised to fall into "crappy" jobs. We are indeed, at the core lazy, unencouraging, got-to-have-it-now, complainers. And as bad as that sounds, most of us would say that we do, in fact, tend to take the east way out.
It’s really just that simple. America is a land of FREEDOM; a fantasy land where dreams can come true and instead of grasping that as motivation we would rather sit by and let others do the work for us. It’s easy to say, “I can’t” and just let things fall into place as others take over the positions we know we’d rather have. We’ve learned to become comfortable with complaining about immigrants “taking our jobs,” when really they are just seizing the opportunities we were too lazy to take. The rest of the world knows our power; our opportunities; our chances, and they know all too well restraints and what they could do if only given a chance at freedom.
I have that freedom to do what I want and live in happiness. There isn't someone telling me what to do or where to live or who to be. I have the option to really make myself something and I want to be a part of those who really seek their passion.
I recently went through a realization that if I'm to truly be happy, I have to at least try for my dreams. I can't just sit around waiting for someone to walk up to me and say, "hey will you be a co-host on this news show?" As lovely as that would be, it's very, very, unlikely and I'll just be sitting at my "easy-way-out" job thinking, "I hate my job." I want to be one of the people who actually set goals and said, "I can make these dreams come true." I never want to be sitting at a desk thinking, "Well, it's too late now" or "what if?" Every single person out there has a secret dream or something they wished they could have done and I know I can make my passion a career with a little will power. I may never be famous or a billionaire but I can sure try to be the best that I can and try to do what I love.

No comments:

Post a Comment